In early April 2016, the draft rangelands laws are expected to be released by the Department of Lands.
For four weeks following the release of the draft legislation - expected to be 5th April 2016 - stakeholders and the public will have the opportunity to formally comment on the proposed changes.
During this time, the Department of Lands will host stakeholder forums as follows:
- Perth, 10am Wednesday 6 April, Perth Arena
- Carnarvon, 11am Friday 8 April 2016, Carnarvon Motel
- Broome, 2pm Tuesday 12 April 2016, Mercure Hotel
- Fitzroy Crossing, 12pm Wednesday 13 April, Fitzroy River Lodge
- Halls Creek, 11am Thursday 14 April, Halls Creek Motel
- Mount Magnet, 10am Tuesday 19 April, Railway Recreation Centre
- Kalgoorlie, 10am Thursday 21 April, Goldfields Art Centre
- Port Hedland, 10am Wednesday 27 April, Wanangkura Stadium
Click here to register for the forums on the Department of Lands website.
Make your voice heard by government
During April the WA Government will seek your opinion on the proposed changes to the laws that underpin tenure and land management in the rangelands. The four-week window for public comment will begin when the draft legislation is released, expected to be 5th April 2016.
While the Department of Lands will ask specifically about your opinion of the new legislation, you can also take the opportunity to tell them what’s missing from the Rangelands Reform Program. What elements have they neglected that would make the new laws better? You can be as brief or detailed as you like – it’s your opinion they’re after.
You will be able to lodge your views online or by post. Addresses for submissions are yet to be announced, so check back here for further details in early April.